The tremendous popularity of iPhones, Blackberry, and Android smart phones has created a "hockey stick" curve in podcast listenership. Recent surveys from Edison Research, eMarketer, Nielson and others all show impressive metrics for podcast listenership.
TotalPicture Radio podcasts give our sponsors a unique and powerful way to connect with prospects and clients. According to a December 2010 report conducted by Edison Research:
- 67% of podcast listeners don't mind sponsorship messages and occasionally find them useful, compared to only 6% positive sentiment expressed for the advertising approaches of television or commercial radio.
- The percentage of Americans who have ever watched or listened to a podcast is 45%, up from 43% one year ago. This equates to approximately 70 million Americans 12+.
- Nearly 80% of podcast consumers (responding to the survey), agreed that “when price and quality is equal,” they “prefer to buy products from companies that advertise on or sponsor” the podcasts they regularly enjoy.
- Ninety percent of these respondents indicated that they had taken some kind of action as a result of podcast advertising or sponsorship, and over 40% reported purchasing behaviors, which indicates that they are receptive to the right message, in the right context.
- The podcast audience has migrated from being predominantly “early adopters” to more closely resembling mainstream media consumers.
- Podcast consumers continue to prefer consuming content at their desktop, not on dedicated media players, but mobile phone media consumption is surging.
- Podcast consumers index very highly for social networking behaviors.
- Two-thirds of podcast consumers have listened to digital audio files in their vehicles by connecting an iPod or other MP3 player to their car audio system.
Podcasting enables listeners to quickly and easily download audio and video multimedia files for playback on mobile devices including iPods, iPads, other MP3 players, and mobile smartphones.