An in-depth conversation with Rodney Moses, Vice President of Global Talent Acquisition, Research in Motion, maker of the Blackberry line of products and solutions.
Welcome to a special Inside Recruiting Channel Podcast on TotalPicture Radio with Peter Clayton Reporting from the IACPR Global Conference in Philadelphia, PA. Our guest today is Rodney Moses, VP of Global Talent Acquisition at RIM. Rod has provided talent acquisition leadership, vision and innovation to some of the world’s largest and most visible companies for over 20 years. He is currently responsible for re-engineering the structure of the RIM team, bringing a new philosophy of focus on candidate care and streamlining processes to support the rapid and recent growth of the business. He has provided recruitment and HR to Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc, Invitrogen, Chicago Transit Authority and PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP – gaining a global perspective for the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and the Asia Pacific at several of these organizations.
Rod Participated in Jeremy Eskenazi's panel discussion at the IACPR Conference, "The Real World Challenges of Global Recruitment." How have top companies continued to recruit the talent they need around the world throughout the economic downturn? What are the stumbling blocks to finding and keeping executives in far flung locations – and what are the short-term tactics and longer term strategies to make sure a company has the global leadership needed to stay on top?
Questions Peter Clayton Asked Rod Moses
- Rod, you’ve been with RIM for a little over a year as VP of Talent Acquisition, coming from Coca-Cola Enterprises. That’s quite a transition in itself! so what’s surprised you? What’s impressed you? What are some of your immediate challenges?
- I guess the one thing that remains similar is you’re still in a fiercely competitive industry. Does anything change in your approach to recruiting top executives? What’s different in recruiting for RIM -- versus Coke?
- Back to the competitive thing… Is there a more hyper-competitive field than smartphones? (Oh, and now tablets!) How does that translate to recruiting? -- especially top level talent? I would imagine you, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Nokia, and scores of other companies are going after the same talent. Am I right?
- You participated in Jeremy Eskenazi’s panel here at the IACPR conference on the real world challenges of global recruitment. Talk to us about workforce planning and analysis on a global scale. What are the challenges?
- What would you consider to be the unique challenges RIM faces in global recruiting?
- How do you go about recruiting senior leaders from your office in Ottawa for assignments around the globe? Do you use 3rd party recruiters?
- What has changed, Rod, in the last 3 to 5 years in recruiting -- especially at the senior level? Is there anything fundamentally different about the way you do your job?
- I know you’ve championed Six Sigma Black Belt projects -- how does Six Sigma relate to global recruiting?
- RIM has been on a growth tear and acquisition tear -- what unique challenges does the considerable growth, plus M&A present you?
- The IACPR conference wraps-up with a session on social media. Mobile has become synonymous with social media. Does RIM have a social media strategy for recruiting? Your thoughts?
- Here are RIM press releases from one day… Sept 27, 2010
- RIM Unveils The BlackBerry PlayBook Sep 27, 2010
- RIM Announces New BlackBerry Enterprise Application Development Platform to Accelerate Creation of "Super Apps" for Business Sep 27, 2010
- RIM Launches Next Generation BlackBerry Web Application Platform, Releases Code to Open Source Community Sep 27, 2010
- RIM and Webtrends to Launch Free BlackBerry Analytics Service Sep 27, 2010
- RIM Launches BlackBerry Advertising Service Sep 27, 2010
- RIM Announces BBM Social Platform
- Rod, how do you and your staff keep up? The Blackberry/RIM story must change on a weekly basis!
- What have you heard at this conference that you’ll be sharing with your colleagues?
About Peter Clayton
Peter Clayton, Producer/Host, is an award-winning producer/director of radio, television, documentary, video, interactive and Web-based media who has created breakthrough media for a wide array of Fortune 100 clients.